One day, someone is going to hug you so tight,
That all of your broken pieces
Will stick back together.
I must say, I have had a very productive morning.
I already hit the gym (it was arm day), did some lumosity to keep my brain sharp, and I still had some time to kill before I had to leave for work, so I decided to put the browning bananas on my counter to use and make Banana-Strawberry Bread! I made some changes to this recipe, and it came out scrumptious!
The problem I usually seem to run into with banana bread is that the outer edges tend to be done much quicker than the inside, so I wind up having to sacrifice some outside bits in order to not have a goopy inside. If anyone has any tips to eradicate this I am all ears and eyes!! However, although in the picture the edges look a bit browned, they didn’t taste burnt at all, which was such a pleasant surprise! Score one for the home team.
1 cup all-purpose flour (use whole wheat if you can, I just didn’t have any on hand)
1 cup almond flour (quinoa flour is also a great alternative!)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fat free greek yogurt
2 room temperature eggs
2 ripe bananas (lightly mash/break up before adding)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup strawberries (hull and slice)
Let’s Bake It!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking soda and sea salt, set aside.
3. In separate bowl (stand mixer if you have it), beat butter on low until pale and light (~3 minutes). Add in sugar, beat, then mix in the eggs one at a time. Next, add bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Finally, fold in the flour and then strawberries, mixing until just combined. Some berries can be saved for top as well.
4. Pour into pan and bake 60-70 minutes/until a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean.
5. Cool for 20 minutes, then remove from pan and cool another 40 minutes before serving.