Hi Baby Loves –
It’s midterm week for me -_- which means this will most likely be the last you hear of me until Friday when the stress is over.
Here are a few tasty recipes to tide you over in my absence.
Pear and Cheese Panini (serves 4)
Ingredients: – 2 t fresh, grated ginger
– 8 slices whole-wheat sourdough bread, 1/2″ thick
– 4 oz blue cheese
– 1 pear, cored and sliced
– 1 c baby arugula
– cooking spray/butter/what have you
Directions: – Rub ginger across one side of every bread slice
– Sprinkle 4 T cheese over 4 slices
– Top with pear slices, arugula, more cheese and other slice
– Spray grill pan, set medium-high heat, place sandwiches (however many will fit), cover with parchment and place large skillet on top to press
– Cook until grille marks appear, 1-2 minutes
– Flip sandwiches, cover, press for another 1-2 minutes, eat!
Health Facts: Per sandwich, 310 calories, 11 g fat (5g sat), 38 g carbs, 9g sugar, 700mg sodium, 5g fiber, 12g protein
This one is simple. Blend together: 1 pear (cored, cut), 2 c milk of choice, 2 c baby spinach, 2 t lemon juice, 1t grated fresh ginger, 1/4 t ground cardamom. Serves 2!
Poached Pears (serves 4)
Boil: 1.5 c white wine, 1.5 c water, 1/4 c sugar, 8 slices fresh ginger, 8 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick. Reduce heat to medium-low and add 2 pears (peeled, halved, cored). Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Remove pears and cover with foil. Strain liquid and boil until reduced, 20 minutes. Spoon syrup and 2T chopped crystallized ginger over the pears.
Combine 2 c whole-wheat flour and 1T baking powder. In a large bowl, whisk 1 c plain yogurt, 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/3 c veggie oil, 2 eggs, and 1T grated ginger. Stir into flour. Fold in 1 1/2 c shredded pears and 1/4 c diced crystallized ginger. Pour into tins, make at 400 F for 18-20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
Enjoy! Wish me luck studying 🙂