I came across this recipe a while back and finally put it to use with the warm weather slowly descending upon us – yesss. It’s a great appetizer for the summertime but can also work as a side dish; whatever tickles your fancy. The recipe is honeydew and poblano salad with smoked salt and mint.. quite the mouthful! But hey, if it tastes good in my mouth, it can be as lengthy as it wants.
This recipe serves 4-6 people, depending on if you have hungry folk and/or boys. Ha.
- 1 1/2 T lime juice
- 1 poblano pepper (seeded and diced)*
- 1/2 honeydew melon (peeled, seeded and diced, ~5 cups)
- 2 small pickling, or “Kirby”, cucumbers (diced)
- 1/4 c fresh mint (chopped)
- 1/4 t smoked sea salt
* If you can’t come across poblano peppers for whatever reason, use a small green bell pepper instead and add a pinch of cayenne for that lovely kick.
- In a large bowl, toss together lime juice and poblano
- Add honeydew, cucumber and mint then toss again
- Sprinkle with smoked salt
- Serve and enjoy!
Outrageously easy, yes? Oui. I also have some nutrition facts for you if you have any interest or if you are counting calories, etc.
Per serving, this recipe yields 80 calories (5 of which are from fat), .5g total fat, 0 sat fat, 0 cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 19g carbohydrates (3g from dietary fiber, 15g sugar) and 2g protein. This recipe also happens to be dairy free, fat free, gluten free, vegan and wheat free if you have to worry about that kind of thing.
I came across a fun discovery today: the phrase “get able” is located within the word “vegetable”… hehe. So eat your veggies, my main peeps!
Before I log off, I wanted to leave you with some new vocabulary that I picked up lately; because when I expand my knowledge, I like to pass it along to you! You’re welcome.
- Putative – adj.
- Vicissitudes – n.
- Risible – adj.
- Behest – n. command; earnest or strongly worded request
- Spurious – adj. not genuine, authentic or true; counterfeit; bastard