First of all, I have made it to 70 blog followers and 4 e-mail followers, so close to the 75 mark! Thank you everyone!! I hope you all enjoy, and if there is ever anything you would like me to talk about, please don’t hesitate to ask.
At Raw Bob’s a few weeks ago, we added an elixir to our menu, dubbed “The Witch Doctor Elixir”. It’s amazing. It’s addicting. It’s intense. I absolutely love it, and it just makes me feel awesome starting from the inside. You feel this going down.
I highly recommend trying this; whether you come into our shop for one (it’s only $3.95) or you make it at home – as long as you have a juicer and the proper ingredients.
Without further ado, here it is! I’ll include the benefits as well so definitely read it all. Let me know what you think 🙂
It should come out to be a beautiful rusty color like shown in the above photo.
– 2 oz coconut water
– 1 whole lemon
– squirt agave nectar
– 1 shake cayenne pepper
– 2 nubs of ginger
– 2 nubs of turmeric
– splash of water
How To Make:
1. Pour out the coconut water into a measuring cup, then add the cayenne and agave nectar.
2. Into your juicer, add the ginger, turmeric and follow with the lemon and splash of water.
3. Stir all ingredients together (should be 4 oz total) and drink immediately.
As a forewarning, the cayenne and lemon makes this drink a little bit potent. The agave nectar is meant to cut it down and add a little sweetness, but it is still a spicy sucker, so just have that in mind!
Now, the benefits:
– Lemon: natural energizer (fights fatigue), flushes out unwanted materials, balances pH, helps hypertension, aids in weight loss (digestive aid), boosts immune system, helps with fever and chills, is antibacterial and abolishes acne.
– Turmeric: powerful anti-oxidant, potent anti-inflammatory, aids prevention of Alzheimer’s, treats arthritis and most recently, UCLA discovered that curcumin, the main component in turmeric, appeared to block an enzyme that promotes the growth of head and neck cancer.
– Ginger: helps with migraines, muscle pain caused by exercise, inflammation of the colon, menstrual cramps, morning sickness, nausea caused by chemotherapy (if taken before), liver damage caused by acetaminophen (aka Tylenol), high blood pressure, asthma, diarrhea, bronchitis, arthritis, digestion, and the most amazing discover is helping cure ovarian cancer. A study found that exposing ovarian cancer cells to a solution of ginger powder resulted in their death in every single test – the cells either committed suicide (apoptosis) or digested/attacked themselves (autophagy).
– Coconut Water: aids in weight-loss due to low fat content and suppresses appetite, moisturizes skin, perfect for hangovers by settling stomach and replacing essential electrolytes, re-hydrates, facilitates digestion, reduces blood pressure, is cholesterol free, high in potassium and it is isotonic to human plasma, which means in extreme emergencies it can quickly rehydrate the human body is administered intravenously.
– Agave Nectar: Low-glycemic sweetener*, weight loss aid because increases satiety and decreases appetite, lowers cholesterol, reduces risk of some cancers, increases absorption of nutrients (like calcium and magnesium), anti-inflammatory, boosts immune system and antimicrobial capabilities.
– Cayenne Pepper: Digestive aid, anti-irritant like upset stomach, ulcers, coughs, diarrhea and sore throats, anti-cold and flu agent, anti-fungal properties, migraine/headache prevention, helps with allergies, useful for blood clots, circulatory stimulant, joint-pain reliever, aids in weight loss, helps prevent lung cancer in smokers, promotes heart health, great for tooth and gum diseases.
* I would highly recommend using agave nectar/syrup instead of sugar in some recipes. Use about 1/3 cup of agave nectar for every one cup of sugar called for in recipes, reduce the liquid ingredients in recipes by one-third, since agave nectar is liquid (and sugar is dry) and reduce your oven temperature by 25 degrees.
… well, there you have it! I bet you didn’t know that all of those ingredients had such a wide array of health benefits, huh? And if you did.. then well, you’re already awesome – stay that way!