Happy Monday, everyone! Hope you guys and gals had a pleasant Sunday Funday, and if you took part in any Superbowl festivities, hope it was better than the game itself! Obviously I’m a Patriots fan, but I was rooting for the Broncos and well… they disappointed. Oh well.
If I’m being perfectly honest, I’ve basically just started functioning as a human being not too long ago. I don’t have to work today, it’s snowing and looks like an Arctic Tundra outside, and as I mentioned Max and I went to a pretty stellar Superbowl Party last night, and I went into a fabulous food coma. If you’re looking to add a little envy to your day, this is what we munched on:
- Fajitas with slow cooked chicken breast and all the mix-ins one can think of
- Deep-fried chicken wings with a Frank’s concoction sauce
- Short ribs with a Dr.Pepper and Bourbon rub topped with mushrooms
- Buffalo chicken broccoli cheddar bites with dipping sauce
- Beef and bean chili
- Belgium waffles that were actually made from potato
- Loaded potato skins
- Pulled pork
- Home-made chocolate chip cookies (2 varieties)
- Cinnamon-Sugar coated sourdough pretzels
- Chips, Veggies and assorted dips
Basically, I ate at least a little of everything, and it was all created to perfection — the benefit of going to a party where all the guests go to culinary school/work in restaurants. 🙂
My additions were the buffalo chicken broccoli cheddar bites with an avocado-lime sauce and the cinammon-sugar coated sourdough pretzels. The bites were a HIT and I couldn’t have been more pleased; I got a bunch of compliments and they were the first appetizers to disappear into belly’s. Since they were a smash, I thought I would share the wealth with all of you.
Here’s what I did to create these puppies, and if you want the original click here.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes* Cook Time: 18 Minutes Total Time: 23 Minutes Serves: ~2 dozen
*Prep Time is once all the ingredients are cooked, doesn’t include making the chicken, broccoli & rice.
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup cooked white rice (“sushi” rice is best)
- ½ cup cooked, finely chopped broccoli florets
- ¾ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons almond flour/meal
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado
- juice of ½ a lime
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (I used sour cream because I ran out of yogurt)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a mini-muffin tin with baking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with a spatula until incorporated.
- Scoop out about 1½ – 2 tablespoons and roll into a ball. Place in mini-muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until set and starting to brown on top.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes before removing from the tray, using a knife or fork to help pop them out as some of the cheese may have stuck to the tin.
- Place individual bites into a Tostito Scoop – the extra crunch is phenomenal and keeps the bites intact.
- Serve warm with the dipping sauce.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
T-t-that’s all, folks! I was less impressed with the sourdough pretzels, so I won’t be sharing that recipe.. at least until I can perfect it a bit more. I may go continue to be a lard now, especially since The Bourne Legacy just got turned on!