Breakin’ A Sweat

Breakin’ A Sweat

…woops. Sorry guys, I’ve been severely sucking on keeping this up-to-date. Mais, maintenant j’essayerai.

Friday, October 12th: I woke up and my stomach decided to hate me. I guess that’s what I get for drinking wine; freaking gut rot. So, basically I chilled in bed all morning (and afternoon) trying to convince my body to like me again. Eventually I was functioning enough to be a normal human being, so I met up with Nina, Emily and Hannah at the coffeeshop to hang out for a bit and get some homework done (eew). I got a little done, and then the three of them left and Max arrived shortly after, at which point I was over being productive. So, we decided to go to the Snowboard Garden Festival and see what it was all about. First of all, it was free, so it gets points for that. Overall I had a good time; there were movies on snowboarding/skiing, lots of artwork, a ramp for skateboarders, and various giant inflatable things for people to dick around on. Grenoble is just such a cool city for having random stuff like this going on all the time.
After the Garden Festival, I had to go home for dinner since I hadn’t eaten at home very often lately, I have no recollection of what we ate.. sadly. Anyway, after dinner and such I met up with Richard, Max, Preston, Karen, Z and Cory in Park Paul Mistral to hang around and complete some shenanigans. From there, we headed once again to the Garden Festival to see what it was like at night. It was pretty sweet, and way more crowded.. also there was a Dubstep DJ jamming out! Needless to say I was satisfied. I mean, he wasn’t the best DJ ever, but he played Flux Pavillion and other artists that I know, so I was quite content. We had to get up early on Saturday, so it was a pretty calm and early night for me. The End.

Saturday, October 13th: EXCURSION TO ANNECY! I had to meet up with the group around 7h45 to catch a bus to Annecy. I pretty much slept the entire ride.. after all, it was a little too early in the morning for me. Basically, it was some festival that day where all the folks of Annecy bring down their cows from the mountain to mark the beginning of the wintery months. Everyone was in the happy celebrating mood, there were animals (bunnies, cows, horses, chickens) everywhere, and it basically turned into an awesomely gigantic farmer’s market. While there, I ate some delicious dishes: diot, which is their famous sausage sandwich and tartiflette (if I spelled that right) which is cheesy potatoes with other yummy good things inside. I definitely gorged hard, and I have no regrets about it. I also bought some home-made apple juice, hot spiced wine and this dark chocolate covered marshmallow with pop rocks (yes..) on it.

After the group I was with finished gallivanting around the farmer’s market, we headed to this main park by the gigantic lake that Annecy is famous for and hung around. Then.. Carl, Max, Heather and I decided to rent a motor boat! It was a really calm and relaxing ride, and the view was phenomenal; see for yourselves. 🙂

The majority of the day was spent in Annecy, and we didn’t get back to Grenoble until about 19h30. Thankfully, my host mom eats late, so I just made it back in time for dindin. I decided it was a Jack Daniels and Coke kind of night, so that’s what my friend Hannah and I split (plus a bottle of wine). Needless so say, I got pretty drunk after we consumed all of that. We ended up at a bar in the middle of Park Paul Mistral, which was cool, and I ended up spending the rest of my drunken night just hanging out in the park. Eventually I got too cold though, and made the trek back home to my cozy bed.

Sunday, October 14th: Once again a rough morning where I contemplated why people even drink alcohol. I also think I was getting a little sick, so I just milked it and stayed in my bed for a few hours more than normal (after all, it is lazy Sunday…). I decided to mingle with the rest of the world around 13h00, so I grabbed a fabulous kebab and smoothie

and met up with Hannah at the coffeeshop to recap the previous nights events. Wahwahwah. Eventually, Mike and Nina met up with us at the cafe, and a few hours later I left with Nina in search of this art fair that was supposedly going on. Fail. We didn’t see any art, but I got my walking quota in for the day at least. Afterwards I just ended up going home and getting a nice long night’s sleep. I don’t hate it one bit.

Monday, October 15th: Class, mersauce. My professors decided to SUCK, and my two electives at the end of the day were 2 hours instead of 1.5… WHAT THE HELL. It’s hard enough sitting in these boring classes for 1.5 hours, what are they thinking?! Whatever, I survived; despite not getting home until 18h30. I pretty much got home, showered, and focused on my studies until dinner, and then went right to bed. My sickness wasn’t getting any better, so I figured as much sleep as possible was the correct answer here. Sorry nothing exciting to report!

Tuesday, October 16th: Same thing as Monday pretty much. Thankfully, I didn’t have an extra hour of classes, but going from 8h30 to 18h00 is still a long-ass day of classes, and I detest it very much. My sore throat was still not getting any better, so I figured out from my translation teacher which medicament to buy (it’s called Maxilase fyi), so directly after class I headed to the pharmacy and made the necessary purchase. Afterwards, it was cold, so I simply went home, showered, took my medicine, had dinner once Madeleine got home, did some homework and read Game of Thrones, then hit the hay. I had to recuperate plus store energy for AMSTERDAM, so sleep was a necessity. Nothing quite beats a cozy warm bed when it’s cold and windy outside.

Wednesday, October 7th: Short school day! I only had class from 8h30-10h20, and afterwards Nina and I went to the API office to attempt to print out our plane tickets but it was kind of a fail. The computers are ghetto as all hell, and the internet wouldn’t let us open the page we needed. I ended up using my flash-drive and it worked, but it was a unnecessary hassle.

I had a skype date with my Nonnie and Grandpa at 12h30/13h00, so after API, Nina and I went to the bus station to buy our bus tickets to Lyon and then I made it to that coffeeshop I love so much. Once my skype date was finished, I bee-lined it to the same Kebab place as Sunday, but this time it wasn’t as good (no cheesy french fries on my kebab, whyyy). The guy who served my on Sunday was confused because he never asked me to pay and was shocked when I asked to, and then he only charged me half the price and added cheesy fries on top! The man who served my on Wednesday also forgot to ask me to pay! I think if they forget a third time I’m going to take it was a sign to eat free lunch. Reasonable, right?

After lunch I went back to the coffeehouse to start studying for exams.. UGH. It’s so stupid: only the Americans have to take midterms, and they don’t even count! So I’m pretty much studying for something that is worth absolutely nothing; so basically I’m not trying very hard. I’m in France.. who freaking would? I studied for a few hours, but then Maddie got out of class, so we went shopping to buy my… leather jacket! Honestly, I’ve been wanting one since I came to France last time 4 years ago, and the store we went to sold them for only 50 euro.. which is outrageously cheap here, so I bit the bullet and bought myself one. It sucked to spend the money, but it was a purchase that had to happen and I’m already in love with it. Now I just need some matching black leather boots…








On my way back home with Maddie, she ran into two kids from her program at GEM (a girl who lives in France, and a guy from Argentina), so I socialized with them and realized they’re so awesome and that I need to become better friends with them. Hopefully that works out. Madeleine wasn’t going to be home for dinner that night, so Max and I went to this pizza place for some pizza and caprese salad, yumm. Then I finally watched that movie Moonrise Kingdom, which was so good and absolutely adorable.. I totally recommend it. Unfortunately I had to get up early on Thursday for the weekend fiesta, so after the movie I went to bed to catch as much sleep as possible.

… There you have it! I’m all caught up except for this weekend which was spent in AMSTERDAM… but I need an entire post dedicated to that. Stay tuned!

About azuremarie

Bonjour, I'm Azure; a healthy dose of eccentricity best taken with a grain of salt. Most people describe me as sassy, and I like that. I love words, and think that anyone who can twist them in their mouth and make something beautiful come out is sexy and someone with whom I want to spend my time. I read a lot (bordering on too much), and am baller at boggle. I happen to be addicted to concerts/live music, and will listen to anything that can carry a beat, and even those that don't. I believe that being normal is boring, and love bright colors. I have a soft spot for animals, particularly dogs and horses, but I am beginning to be a cat person as well. Sometimes, I will admit that I like some animals better than some people - they're great listeners and don't judge. J'adore voyager. Someday I want to be able to look at a map of the world and say "I have been there, there, and there... and there", and have a memory attached to them all. I've recently begun to work at an organic juice bar, and diet/holistic health is starting to become a main passion of mine. I want to be able to experience our world, as well as help save it. Oh, and unicorns exist.

Share Those Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s